Hillmon Grove Baptist Church held its first meeting on May 11, 1952, in Simon Campbell's tenant house on Highway 24 under the leadership of Reverend Julius Holloway. Seventeen people were present. That evening, 34 attended the evening worship service.
Attendance continued to grow and, in November 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Otha Hillmon Mangum donated land on which to build a larger church building. On June 7, 1953, the first meeting of Hillmon Grove Baptist Church was held in the new building.
Today, Hillmon Grove has stood for more than six decades ministering to its people, strengthening its leadership, and serving the community.
Original Building Restoration Project
The original one-room church building has been saved for 63 years for restoration. More than 20 volunteers, comprised of church members, neighbors and friends, are working together to provide a completed historical monument for the church, neighborhood and community.
The project began on June 4, 2015, when the building was moved to the present location. Expert volunteers are seeking to find windows and materials needed to make the building as near original as possible. Walls will be decorated with historical pictures. Furniture will include a pot-bellied stove, set benches, and podium.
Interest in this historical project in the form of volunteering and monetary contributions has come from the community, charter church members, former members, and local residents.
Thank you to all who are supporting our efforts to restore an important piece of Hillmon Grove's history and beginning.